The Fischer School
began in the late 1800's with one very strict
teacher who made the students, mostly boys, ages 7
to 20, behave through the use of the "good, old
golden RULER." Two water runs a day were made,
mostly by the fellows, who went down the hill to the
Fischer House and carried up a bucket full. Everyone
then drank from a communal dipper.
The school stands on approximately 30
acres, large enough so the horses many of the
students rode to school, could graze during the day.
The original one-room school house burned and much
of the existing building was built in the 1940's by
locals. Along the way, a second room and the
stage were added. The rock steps, which we are
still using, are the original ones from the 1800's.
In remembrance of the loss of
our beloved members: